Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Custom Blender


Well, a real blender (or cartoon one shown here), probably isn't a good idea to use to get rid of HeroScape, but is an interesting object that describes HeroScape.

HeroScape is a world full of blended together themes and ideas. And that is basically how it should work. Now then, I tend to not be a stickler for how people make customs. And as such, I think simply the act of making them shows some sort of creativity.









But, there are a few things that, although I do not mind seeing, I probably won't comment too much on or even read. Of course, it shouldn't be taken against the creator, just merely that I don't want involved in that custom.

1. HeroScape Story Characters, especially if I do not know them, or if they are a General. If they are just some obscure character I might just assume them to be a cool idea and name.

Tyrian, by Paronychodon, is a HeroScape Story Character
2. Video Game Characters who can be interpreted in too many ways. The way I see it, I've already made a Link and he is vastly different than the Links other folks have made. Although I can help clean up the wording and such, ultimately I'm only going to get so far with one of these.

(Look around heroscapers for many instances of Link, Mario and Master Chief)

3. Text Customs, and to a lesser extent rectangular card customs. For me at least, blotches of text get tiresome to read, and sometimes your eyes can mix and match lines. Rectangular custom cards are better, but I think the format of HeroScape Cards was done really well as is.

Thilko will always annoy me, until I make a card for him. *Roll eyes* Then again, that means I have 1 less thing to look forward to.

Now then, the next part of this post... 


When you do decide to use another guy's custom, or even a project's custom, then you also need to realize that there may be some imbalances or "gamebreaks" when a custom of yours is used in cohesion with another person's custom. This could happen most easily if you aren't careful with who your bringing in. People base customs from what they own, Official HeroScape units, and perhaps customs of their own and/or a specific project. What makes this dangerous is that when you add a unit to your own pool from another creator and assume it'll be alright, is that the custom your bringing in is not tested to work for your metagame.

An interesting point to use is with my custom, the Tactical Combat Unit, and the C3V's Capt. John Varan. Both units synergize with each other, and this is great. Except that there is a chance that John Varan's worth could go up, down, or even become crisscrossed. Sure the TCU don't have any groundbreaking powers, but that's not to say they couldn't have.

An earlier point I can make is when I've played Kira Jax. One of the games I used her in(though not as a usual playtest) pitted her against another custom, the Blackroot Recruits. Why did I do this? Kira Jax needed to be "allowed" into my game. Basically, if she found some way to be a really messed up unit when being blended into my HeroScape world, she would be rejected. As she doesn't really break anything in my game world, she's in. Capt. John Varan is also admitted.

'Scape on.

No comments:

Post a Comment