Saturday, September 10, 2011

The Invasion Continues

Again, this week the Classic Customs Creators of Valhalla (who'll be referred to as C3V for my convenience) has released 3 more Classic customs.

So, the 9th Elf Wizard has been unofficially officially released. By that I mean that Haduc is a custom, but will likely be good enough to be the last of the 9. I'll start my initial thoughts on him now...


Well, overall I like this guy. Although Elvan Supremacy is kinda bland at it's surface I can see how that Aegis power will work well. In fact, I think he is even trying to overshadow Kyntella! All in all I can see this guy almost becoming along the lines of your Rook, powerful and important, but if need be you can sacrifice him. As a cheerleader, I can even see this guy becoming early round fodder for swarm squads. I hope you counterdrafted with Jorhdawn! One downfall(but perhaps it's really a blessing in disguise?) is that there's really no need for multiple uses of Aegis, well unless you wish to be invincible. Or, as close to invincible as you can get without any healing.

At it's core, I'm going to try this one for size as an army idea...

Haduc
Ulginesh
Jorhdawn
Arkmer
Warriors of Ashra x2

At 500 points, nothing really takes of advantage of Elven Supremacy, but the Elves can still get quick assaults with Haduc and Jorhdawn on Turn 2 and then finish up with the Warriors of Ashra on Turn 3. You can leave Turn 1 however for a quick assault and the defense buffing of Haduc, repositioning Ulginesh so he can take advantage of his Mind Link on Turn 2, or simply moving in your non-magical units.

Now once again, if I could do a power ranking for this guy, I'd give him a solid B-. The Elves still suck versus swarms.
_____________________________________________________________________________

Beep, beep-do-beep.

Omegacron is up next. Beep...ERROR
Now, I wouldn't say this guy is really bad, but I do find him a little bit too much like this guy. Although I like the concept of him becoming an OM Sink, I'm going to have a hard time fielding this guy in an army build using units that already cost 100 points a pop! But, I'm going to go into a bit of theory with him. I'm thinking he was priced like an Omnicron usually is(read as: High) to potentially prevent players from taking advantage of his 180 point counterpart, Taelord the Kyrie Warrior. Instead of an additional attack die, (which is huge while considering Deadly Shot) you get Order Marker and unit flexibility. Although Double Attack is probably his biggest threat if he had to mano y mano with another hero, and his 6 defense is quite high, I wonder about his crude 4 life. Will that get smashed apart too quickly by units with decent ranged attack values, like the Marro Stingers or the Granite Guardians (these guys on hieght is scaaaaaaaaary) and enough numbers or great survivability to get past those double skulls?

This has been tossed around a bit, so I'm just reposting it here:

Omegacron
Omnicron Snipers x2
Omnicron Repulsor's x3

Although yes it's scary for Starting zone placement, it has pretty good levels of general attack power, and if played well you can potentially get +1 attack for your Snipers a la Beacons. But, it might get torn apart. Might.

The overall power ranking I'm giving him would a good C+ or a B-. An OM Sink all the way, but horrible on his own versus other high defense heroes.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Finally, some love for the ultimate General(behind me, of course)!! And who cares if I'm gonna proxy them as Deathreavers and Marden Nagrub?? I present to you my choice favorite after much consideration for these 3, the Marro Gnids!


Very awesome stuff, C3V. This is how to play with the framework of HeroScape and still get away with it. In essence these guys play as though they are Viking Champions with negative effects, rather than some sort of statistical bonus. Although they don't have real power behind them as is, I am thinking that Khosumet will gladly help them out, as they make sure that your opponents heroes won't murder him. This one is even more exciting when trying to think of them as guards to your Marro Hive. Forget about only using 3 man squads during a Hive Mind effect, with these guys you can go ahead and move 4 guys. Excellent. And their class is great, Parasite is very fitting considering how they rely on your other figures and your opponent's heroes to really be effective.

More on Khosumet...
Big Daddy K
Anubian Wolves x3
Marro Gnidsx3
Sahuagin Raiderx2

This *barely* fits in the typical 24 hex starting zone, but it offers tons and tons of love. Big Daddy K will work well for that Unleashed Fury, thanks to making the wolves stop being suicidal ad giving the Gnids the 3 attack power they want, nay need, to inflict a wound on your enemy hero. And who better than a Sahuaguin Raider to take advantage of a hero with this stinkin' parasite on it? At least Amphibious should help to keep them alive long enough for it to work. The Wolves can destroy your opponent's heroes, but are mostly for enemy squads until the Gnids>Raider combo cleans up the troublesome heroes. Even if Jotun comes your way, go ahead and roll a 20 to just whip out a perfect attack on the big blubbering baby. Well, you can also roll an 19, but that's not as much fun.

Their flameslayer93's power ranking is as follows: C. Heroes with high defense are the in thing right now, and against all things ranged, the Gnids at top speed likely won't do much with their pitifully low stats.

All things said, I should be able to play Capt. John Varan tomorrow along with the Tactical Combat Unit. My enemies? "All You need is Death/Love". Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment