Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Dilemma of Official Customs

Yes, the title is intended to be an oxymoron. But, it's becoming a reality in the heroscapers forums. A project called "Classic Customs Creators of Valhalla" (which I will refer to as "C3V") is out to make customs. Now that community is willing to accept them as official customs(and with HeroScape out of production, I can see why some sort of saving grace is a good one). The tournaments that the members on those site hold will likely be using classic official, and even C3V customs. Here's the dilemma... What if you don't necessarily like some of the customs? For house games I can see nothing wrong with them, not a thing at all. But for tournaments that put one's skill to the test? What if we did accept C3V as official, and held a tourney that allowed them? Attendees who don't frequent the heroscapers site a lot will likely be confused when figures from other games(for example AT-43) are being included as legal. Will they ask "Since when is this crap allowed?" Or how about "I won't play against you! Your trying to cheat with customs!"? These are indeed possible, and although those who don't frequent heroscapers a lot likely won't know about the tourneys anyway, they can still find out from those that do. This can become an issue, and sadly, it could cause an even bigger rift between part of the community and another part of the community. As a community based around forums, it is only natural there will be disagreements, but it could become so bad it could cause an even smaller active group.

As for me, I'll probably use what I like from C3V, and leave out what I don't. Zaeus for example won't be useful to me if he works in sync with the Gorillanators, as I don't own any of them. The rest, well I'll have to see. Zogross Hardscale might see play, as I do have a team of Greenscale Warriors. Nicholas, well maybe. John Varan won't be a problem, I already have toy soldier figures, so I'm set. Big boy Omegacron might be represented by Major Q10.

Everyone enjoy this wonderful day, and guess what? Enjoy tomorrow too. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment